Meatless Monday has been growing in popularity in many families since experts have been finding more proof that it’s worthwhile to cut out meat at least one day a week. Not to mention, meat gets pricy and by going for a veggie option once a week you can save yourself a bit on groceries.
You’ll want to make them up ahead of time so you can cook them from frozen. This recipe is enough for two nights (it should make 8 patties) but if you have freezer space you may as well make extras!
2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed, drained, and set to dry
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chipotle pepper powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup quick oats
1. Use a fork or potato masher to smash the beans until they’re a paste.
2. Put the bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic in the food processor until finely chopped.
3. Mix the vegetable mixture in with the beans.
4. Add the oats, eggs, and spices.
5. Spread out a piece of wax or parchment paper.
6. Put a little oil on your hands.
7. Form 8 patties out of the mixture and place them on the paper. Add a tbsp. of oats if you’re having trouble getting the patties to stick together.
8. Wrap the patties and freeze for at least two hours. I like to make them up a few days ahead of time.
9. When it’s time to cook, heat up an oiled skillet on medium heat and cook the patties for about 6-8 minutes on each side.