Casseroles and bakes are my favorite go-to dinners because a lot of the time I just need something I can pop in the oven and let the oven do the work for me. I’m busy and I’m sure you are too but I still need to eat and so does my family.
BBQ chicken is great but cooking it can be time consuming. I love this bake in particular because the layer of cornbread adds a lot of flavor but it’s thin so it doesn’t add a lot of carbs or calories.
1 ½ pound diced skinless chicken breast
1 15-ounce can of pinto, black, or kidney beans (pick your favorite), rinsed and rained
1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
½ barbeque sauce
1 6-ounce package corn bread mix made into batter as instructed on the box
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Take your diced chicken cook it in a skillet over medium heat until cooked all of the way through.
3. In a sauce pan mix the beans, green pepper, jalapeno, tomato sauce, and barbeque sauce and heat over medium heat until heated throughout. Mix in the chicken.
4. Pour the bean and chicken mixture into your baking dish.
5. Spoon corn bread batter over the chicken mixture and spread around.
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until the cornbread is cooked.
7. Allow to sit for 3 minutes before serving.